Search This Blog

Sunday, August 8, 2010

August 6 - 15.1 / 2,079.7

I kept waking up thinking a bear was going to go after my food. It was probably the most paranoid I have been this whole trip. I decided to just put my food in my tent since we were at the hostel.

Everyone was up and moving around when I got up. Bad news: it was just 6:45. Good news: we were all about to have an all you can eat breakfast. The breakfast includes pancakes, eggs, sausage, bacon, and home fries. You order based on the number of helpings you want. I went with 3 as I was still pretty full from dinner. Hollywood joined us our table. As Riverdog went to go place a pin on a map, Hollywood started drinking his water. I told Hollywood that some of us pour our own drinks. He isn't the brightest fella so I had to tell him that he was drinking someone else's drink. Most people would check to see of all the glasses were full or if even empty seats had full glasses. Not Hollywood, he just sat down and started drinking. It made for a good story. Only if y'all would have had the time to have met Hollywood. That would make the story that much better.

I ran back to the general store and gas station after breakfast. I needed to get enough food for 6 days through the 100 mile wilderness. There are only logging roads and one chance of a resupply at a camp across a lake. Therefore, I have to carry more food. As always, I was the last to be ready. Samurai, Riverdog, and I made it to the trailhead around 11.

The day was a pretty gentle day of ups and downs. We did have a few river crossings. One was an actual ford again. Sam and RD were able to rock hop most the way, throw their packs on other rocks, and continue to rock hop all the way across without getting wet. I on the other hand did not. I made it to a rock to where I was going to throw my pack to RD. I hesitated as I started to throw my food laden pack across the water. The momentum to me and the pack right in. I went in thigh deep but managed to also grab RD. He pulled me right out. My pack was a little damp and so were my shoes. Everything else stayed dry. It was amazing. Luckily I didn't hurt myself or slip even more on the mossy rocks. It could have been a lot worse.

The day went by fairly quick. The three of us made it to the shelter by a decent time. Happy and Pappy were here when we arrived. It is a grandfather grandson duo. I think the grandfather is in his 80s while the grandson is 12. They have section hiked over the last few years and will complete the trail this year. What an awesome story they have to have hiked the entire trail together, especially at their ages.

Sonic rolled up fairly late and had some fun with mice that were running around him while he ate dinner.

The weather looks good for the next few days. That is a positive note. It is also supposed to be cool which helps when it comes to hiking. I can hear the deep breathes of the others so I too am heading to bed. Have a good night.

Oh yeah, less than 100 to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment